Overview

Now I have my PPL, follow my aviation career via my instagram page!

Sunday 17 May 2015

Making Serious Progress

So here is post number 3 of my blog. With any luck there's a few of you enjoying what it is I'm writing about. This time however, I have some actual updates on the flying training!


This week, I had made a particular effort to get in as much flying time as I was able to, to make up for the lack of it last week. Seeing as how I had a full day to fit some hours in on Wednesday, I took the time to book 4 hours of instruction.



The first session in the morning, I sat down with my instructor for a briefing. He explained that we would be practicing 'short field manoeuvres' this is basically being able to take off and land the aircraft in a short distance. Mainly, it is used on grass strips or private airfields and luckily the weather on the day was brilliant, and appropriate enough to go to Headcorn (EGKH). Those of you who know Headcorn/Lashenden, will know it is an absolutely prime airstrip for short field take off and landing practice, on account of the fact that it is simply a field in mid Kent, near Tenterden.

Now, I have never landed myself at a grass strip before and so I was some what apprehensive about trying it. Not only that, but it was my first time doing cross country navigation. I'd like to say I know the local area fairly well from the air, and had I not been flying the aircraft I'd probably have had a better understanding of the route we were taking in relation to Lydd, but with the distraction of operating the aircraft I found it a bit of a challenge to get there.

A handy tip for anyone who does wish to visit Headcorn, if you fly directly to Ashford then follow the straightest railway line to the West, about 5 minutes later you'll encounter Headcorn. That's how I'll be remembering anyway....

Moving on. The approach into Headcorn was a down-wind join for a left base on runway 10, and I'm happy to report that I feel like I executed the circuit brilliantly. Rather more impressively though, my landing was one I feel particularly proud of. After the turn onto final approach at about 800ft I deployed full flap on the C152 and maintained 65kts throughout the approach. Now, I'm told that the art to a short field landing is to allow the main gear to settle on the runway before lowering the nose. So, doing exactly that, I left the hold off as late as is safe to do so and eased the controls back to lift the nose high, once I had selected the right attitude I reduced the power to idle and kept the nose up. By some miracle the main gear touched down so gently I was in two minds about whether we'd actually landed, or simply bounced off the runway. Fortunately though, the 152 has a handy feature that tells you if you're down by the deafening vibrations in the seat. When I knew I was down, I kept the nose high for as long as it would go and let it float down of its own accord when the speed bled off before applying the brakes and exiting the runway.

The second session in the afternoon was standard circuits back at Lydd again. However, with the weather being so utterly fantastic, it would be too much to ask to have the airspace to myself. Therefore, the lord of aviation had sent 5 other aircraft into the circuit, and an AW139 Helicopter to practice manoeuvres on the runway as well. The 5 aircraft I could deal with, as its just a question of forcing your radio calls between their's and keeping your eyes open. But when the helicopter was still in the middle of the runway when I was at 200ft on late finals; my instructor, the controller and myself made the executive decision that we should land. Now, normally that wouldn't worry me too much, until in my debrief my instructor Clive had said, using these exact words;

"Well it's a bit of a bugger we had to cut that short..... 3 more landings like that, and I'd have got out and let you go by yourself!"

Gutting words, I'd missed out on my solo because of good weather.... amazing isn't it! Still, like fishing, you have good days and bad days and personally for me I feel that was a good day. Even if I hadn't got to go solo, I know that I'm making some serious progress and will hopefully be solo soon. No pressure!


That pretty much sums up the past week of flying for me at Lydd. But on a final note, I'm over the moon to announce that the Spitfire that flies as part of the 'ActionStations' experience has returned at the weekends. Meaning that I now get things like this close to every 20minutes!  >>













No comments:

Post a Comment