Overview

Now I have my PPL, follow my aviation career via my instagram page!

Monday 10 August 2015

The Training Continues.

Apologies for my late post, even after announcing that I will now be doing all I can to publish a new post at a set time of 18:00 (GMT) on a Monday, for the benefit of the ever growing international audience. My late post comes after a short break away in Devon, which although doesn't have anything to do with aviation did give me the opportunity to stop off on my return at Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Yeovilton. One of the Royal Navy's primary air stations and training areas and also home to the largest Naval aviation museum in Europe. WELL worth a visit if ever you get the opportunity.


Back to the training however, recently I have been working on VOR tracking. For those who don't know what VOR tracking is, it is a method used for navigation that involves determining your location with reference to a VOR beacon. These 'Very high frequency Omni-directional Radio range' (VOR) beacons are located all around the UK and do exactly as their name suggests. They emit a specific radio frequency that can be received by the VOR instrument in the aircraft. It is used for determining your location in relation to the VOR or your distance from (often coupled with DME or 'distance measuring equipment') or can be used to track a radial inbound or outbound form or to the beacon. There are whole essays and websites, videos and 'how to' videos based around VOR tracking and therefore I shan't explain everything but if you have any questions do feel free to put them to me anyway you can.


Having now completed nearly 24 hours of flight training, I'm now looking to prepare for my qualifying cross country. In doing so Recently I flew the Robin up to Rochester (EGTO) and also t Headcorn (EGKH) to practice some more soft field landings. Personally I found Rochester very challenging as the the runway we landed on (20-02) is very uneven and quite narrow. Fortunately after a fairly artistic landing we I was able to get the thing down and stopped.  As for Headcorn, I found going there for some circuits very enjoyable, if a bit exhausting.

Yesterday, to get back into the swing of solo flying after my break, I went for a 50 minute solo flight to Canterbury. For those who don't know, I went to school in Canterbury for 14 years, so the chance to fly over it and look specifically for areas I found interesting was a unique and welcome one. I routed up there via Rye and Ashford, and on return took the opportunity to practice some of my VOR tracking and so intercepted the 210° radial inbound the the Lydd VOR (LYD 114.05). Below is the only photo I was able to take, as to focus on photography when one should be flying an aircraft is not ideal. The next step on the agenda is to continue with the navigation and begin getting used to landing at other airfields. All things I look forward to keeping you updated on.

Although a dull post, I promise that next week will be far more interesting. As always many thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment